Father, Husband, Photographer – that about sums me up. I first picked up a camera several years ago, and started to take things seriously shortly after that. Since then I have pointed my lens at almost everything I can think of, and had an incredible learning experience along the way.
My hobby (or addiction, if you ask my wife!) has helped me meet some fantastic people, both those who are happy to stand in front of the lens and those who help me behind it. I have made new friends and had calamitous adventures.
I have spent countless hours staring at the stars atop cliffs in two continents, on beaches, sea shores and farmers fields. I have spent just as many hours dedicating myself to developing my craft – challenging myself to find shots even when the conditions are against me, connecting with fellow togs around the world, refining technique and familiarising myself with the tools available.
And the best bit is that there is still a lifetime’s worth to learn. An endless supply of sunrises and sunsets, climatic conditions, festivals, protests, races, birthdays, weddings, Christmases still to come. My little girl (soon to be two! update: is now two, and we have another one too!) will continue to grow up, and I will be right there to see it all, and maybe snap some of the best bits.
I get more out of this than I ever thought I would, and I’d love to share my interest with you, so say hello if you like.
- 2018 Sony World Photography Awards : Shortlist : Street photograpy
- 2018 National Geographic Traveller photography competition : Winner : Urban
- 2018 Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award (HIPA) : Finalist
- 2018 Outdoor Photographer of the year : Shortlist : Travel
- 2017 Landscape Photographer of the Year (Take a View) : Shortlist
- 2017 Nikon Centenary International photography competition : Shortlist
- 2017 Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year : Shortlist : Sit Patrick Moore Best Newcomer
- 2017 National Piers Society photography competition : Winner
- 2017 National Geographic Traveller photography competition : Shortlist : Portfolio
- 2018 National Geographic Traveller (June) : Big Picture feature
- 2018 Practical Photography Magazine (May) : Beyond the Lens, the story of the world’s greatest shots
- 2018 Sony World Photography Awards book
- 2018 National Geographic Traveller photography book
- 2018 Portfolio 3 : OPOTY
- 2017 Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year book
- 2017 Portfolio 2 : OPOTY
- 2017 OPOTY Feature : The Times
- 2018 Sony World Photography Awards shortlist announcement
- 2018 Royal Museums Greenwich Blog : How photography changed my life
- 2018 National Geographic Traveller Winners Announcement
- 2017/2018 Outdoor Photographer of the Year Shortlist
- 2018 Sony World Photography Awards : Somerset House : 20th April – 6th May 2018
- Wallacespace Covent Garden : Travel photography : 12th February – 27th February 2018
- Royal Observatory Greenwich : Insight Astronomy : 16th September 2017 – 22nd July 2018
I have a whole bunch of gear (never enough!) that I use to take these shots, and am always interested in acquiring more! I think the key bits are here:
- Nikon D750
- Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART
- Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro
- Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF-S
- Nikon 28-300 f3.5-5.6g ed vr
- Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
- Canon 18-55mm ef-s f/3.5-5.6 is stm
- Canon 55-250mm ef-s f4-5.6 is stm
- Mefoto Roadtrip tripod
- Lee filter system 10stop ND filter
- F-Stop Kenti gear bag
- Hoya circular polariser
Photopills. You need this.
- Adobe CC
Industry standard post processing
- Nik Efex Plugins
Google. Free. Epic.
- CSS Igniter WordPress theme